Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Year of Kurosawa begins

So I finally began the year of Kurosawa, a month late. I started by reading his autobiography (at least the first few chapters) and I am pleasantly surprised by how very…normal…he is. In the book he admits that he is presenting himself in a more favorable light than is accurate, and yet he has some honest things to say about the flaws in his character. I will probably spend the next week or so slowly reading through this work so that I can get to know the man better (I don’t just want to speed through for simple information). After that my plan is to cover all biographical information from each of the other books I have about his life and career before moving onto the information about his films and career. As I study each film, I will be watching the movie I’m studying about a few times through to more purely analyze the film from the perspective of Kurosawa’s biographers and critics.

Also, I fully intended to slow down on my movie watching, and then I got sick. While in bed I did nothing but watch movies for two days, so now I’m still on a crazy pace. Nine more, now I’m at 42 for the year.

Nights of Cabiria

Hot Fuzz (rewatch)

First Name Carmen

The Freshman

Last of the Mohicans (rewatch)

Hana

State of Play

Passion

Easy Virtue

1 comment:

  1. Dave in the Quiet CornerFebruary 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM

    Excellent. Glad to see a fresh blog entry. Keep up the good work. Hot Fuzz is a movie a loan to everyone I can. Pegg and Frost are great together. They are doing a new movie together called "Paul". What I can gather from IMDB it's about two British comic book geeks travelling across America when they run into an alien near Area 51. That sounds like them.

    ReplyDelete