Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Journey in 2010

After a long break, I’m back to blogging for the New Year.

This year in film watching is exciting to me. I can’t wait to navigate through the plan I have in place. Every year I watch almost exactly 200 new films, which works out to about 4 films per week. In 2009 I saw 218 of them, and I rewatched another 20 or so films that I had already seen in years past. Usually how it breaks down is as follows; I try to watch around 50 new releases in theater’s, meaning about one per week, and then about 150 films from across various previous years. Of these films, I try to make at least 50 of them films that were made outside of my own country here in the U.S.

This year, I have a large list of films I'm anticipating to watch as they hit theaters, and my netflix queue for older films is at 219 films. My goal: get through them all. That means upping my film intake to about 250 or so. It might not happen, but we’ll see.

I also plan to make 2010 the year of Kurosawa. I know, I know, according to Jason EVERY year is the year of Kurosawa for me. Well this year I plan on going more over the top than ever before. I plan on rewatching all 30 of his films at least once each, as well as read his autobiography and at least 10 other books written about his life and career. I will be writing about this adventure here on the blog as I go, and may even create a schedule for navigating all of this and post the schedule here. Ill also update the blog with each of the films I watch in this calendar year. So far I have a late start – Only two films the first week –
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
The International

What do you plan on doing this year with film?

My journey begins.

1 comment: